Sunday, January 12, 2014

Okay back to work...or how about another review I wrote?

After a month of computer issues, sickness, holidays, birthdays, and book releases I admit I have not been blogging like I should.  I have too many blogs I think at times but I like keeping my various selves separate.  I have put up reviews of some of the amazing indie authors I have had the pleasure of discovering over the past two years but I thought hey you do read other stuff too!

So instead of a review of a bright new star I figured I could put up one of my reviews of an established writer who is part of the traditional publishing world. 

Charlaine Harris is a name that most in the paranormal romance field know.  Many of us have come to adore the show based on her Sookie Stackhouse books, True Blood but she has written many others books.  Most that I have read fall into that paranormal romance category but not all of her work does.  This book is one from outside the field she is so well known for.

A Secret Rage could be considered a woman's book, a mystery or a literary fiction.  Published back in 2007 it is a very different piece of work.  here is my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything old is new, December 16, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: A Secret Rage (Kindle Edition)
After becoming a huge fan of Ms Harris' paranormal novels I really had to read everything I could find.

This novel is a simple gothic told in her style. It has little bit of southernisms that you expect from this multitalented author. The characters are crisp and intelligent and strong. The dark theme of rape and its effect on the women who suffer it is handled cleanly and well. Being set in the deep south like most of her novels this tale shows us the different ways that subcultures within our own deal with the victim.

I was actually both surprised and happy at how she dealt with the climax of this story. While the subject matter is dark this novel left me feeling content.

No comments:

Post a Comment