Monday, March 31, 2014

Reading and reviewing, like PB and Jelly...best together

Okay I know a writer talking about reviewing is considered a bad thing lately.  Yes I have put up my reviews before and I will continue to do so.  But I thought why not take a few of my reviews for books that i bet you would not think about reading?

The great and current debate about free or low costs books is still dragging on and on.  Trolls are all over writers who say anything online and some readers are convinced that writers can not review a book in their own genre objectively.  Like almost every writer out there I was reading long before I set pencil/pen to paper or my fingers on a keyboard.  Reading is both a joy and frustrating at the same time.  Too often we are subjected to what the big marketing sources think we need to read. 

As an indie author I am of course suspect when I write a review for anything.  I love to read, have in fact spent way too much time reading when I should be doing things like writing, cooking, cleaning or heck playing with the kids.  I love getting lost in a story.  Love the taste, the smell and the feel that comes to a well written story.  Yes they have all of the above.

Now there are some fun little subgenres out there if you look.  Fantasy is of course the truest path to my heart but like any of the all encompassing genres there is are lot of sub catagories popping up every day.  Some of the tales i have discovered as free offerings by the writers on places like Amazon and Smashwords are as good or even better than the mainstream well advertized and paid works out there.  here are a just a few that I have really enjoyed in the past couple of years.

***

A Fairy for Bin Laden
A Fairy for Bin Ladin       
A Fairy for Bin Laden
Price: $0.99
       

5.0 out of 5 stars very different fairy tale, July 13, 2012
   
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: A Fairy for Bin Laden (Kindle Edition)
Now this was fun. A bit raw, a bit raunchy but an interesting take on Tinkerbell and on the SEALS. Loved this little bit. Definitely a fun fast read. get it, read it, review it. A talent in the making!

***

Just a funky and fun take on Tinkerbelle for sure.

***

Eros, Philia, Agape: A Tor.Com Original
Eros, Philia, Agape       
Eros, Philia, Agape: A Tor.Com Original
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $0.99
       

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting, July 11, 2012
   
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Eros, Philia, Agape: A Tor.Com Original (Kindle Edition)
This little tale was an interesting take on relationships. While it feels unfinished the emotions of all three are powerful. The most poignant being little Rose with her four year old confusion.

***
Truly and odd yet highly interesting tale
***

Slave to Marshmallows: A Steampunk Novella in Three Parts
Slave to Marshmallows       
Slave to Marshmallows: A Steampunk Novella in Three Parts
Price: $2.99
       

2 of 3 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars quirky fun, January 23, 2013
   
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Slave to Marshmallows: A Steampunk Novella in Three Parts (Kindle Edition)
This short little tale is odd but interesting. I picked it up because the title intrigued me and now i am glad I did. This little tale is told from the viewpoint of a child who doesn't even realize she is one. Forced to work in a factory browning marshmallows to be sold to rich people. It is quirky and odd and something new in story telling. Like the title says, a steampunk Fairy tale. Read it folks. It is fun.

***
Another faery tale with a total twist.  These stories all have in common that they were offered for free at one point and I took a chance on them.  I have many more I have read and have yet to catch up on reviewing.  The nice thing about the web is you can find my reviews all over.

Another author and blogger asked me to send to her some reviews for her blog.  I sent her eleven to start and she put up seven of them here.
Reviews Galore

I sent her reviews on a number of genres since I had no idea what she wanted.  But as you can see you can read, enjoy and review books from all over.  It doesn't matter of you are a reader or a writer or both.  What you need to do is read those books and then tell the world what you think.  Just be sure of one thing folks, you don't need to be nasty or cruel.  You are reviewing a book.  The writer is offering up the child of their mind and heart to you and just like you would not like someone trashing the child of your body, don't trash the child of their mind.  If you really don't like it...say it but say it politely and why you don't like it.  Don't attack the writer, who is simply trying to give you a moment or more of freedom from the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment