Monday, January 26, 2015

Blasts from the past or story reviews and art images

Well a new thing I planned on for this blog was to showcase both art from the past masters from my personal image collection and reviews of the stories that stick out to me in an anthology.

Anthologies are of course a collection of short stories. The difference between say the collection I am putting out this week, Mythos of Love, and the anthology Space Opera is a very basic one. A collection is just that, a collection of tales written by the SAME author. An anthology is a collection of short stories written by many authors.

The anthology, Space Opera is in fact a collection of twenty stories written by twenty different authors. This collection from 1996 has some of the very best authors from science fiction and fantasy. Masters of the genres who, in some cases, have already passed over the rainbow bridge to the next life. From Anne McCaffrey to Marion Zimmer Bradley these tales are what I want in an anthology. Unlike the book I just reviewed over on my Booklikes.com blog, this collection is well worth the read.

Now as to the story that touched me the most.Calling them Home by Jody Lynn Nye just stuck with me. A fifteen page tale, yet it had everything I love in fiction. A character who is different, for a science fiction character that is.

The story is about a woman who works alone at a beacon station. Basically like a lighthouse in space, she runs the place and helps keep traffic moving in the great deepness of space. When systems go down she has to figure out some way to help those out there who might get lost and damaged by a space storm (okay there was a better name for it but I don't remember that part) She uses her own voice and the songs she has collected to guide ships home. A truly interesting take on the lighthouse keeper in my mind and one that rests inside my memory.

It doesn't look like she has released any of her short stories as singles but if you are interested in getting some of her work, she is on Amazon just like me!

Jody Lynn Nye Amazon author page

And like last week I thought I would put up some art from my massive collection of images. All rights of course belong to the original artist and not me. This week I thought I would put up some of Wayne Andersoon's work. This amazing artist has a very unearthly flair to the pieces I have seen. With faeries what else could a fan of fantasy want?






No comments:

Post a Comment